As a home or business owner, you should always be highly alert about HVAC safety. Whether it be chemical exposure or fire hazards, your heating and cooling system poses serious safety risks if not regularly serviced by HVAC professionals.
Keeping up with your HVAC maintenance is your first line of defense against serious safety hazards. And luckily, we know just the right team for the job! At ACS, we offer comprehensive HVAC repair, replacement, and maintenance services to commercial and residential spaces in Georgia. With our help, you can protect your home or business from HVAC safety hazards and ensure optimal indoor comfort.
In this article, our HVAC experts discuss common HVAC safety hazards to watch out for, including:
- Faulty electrical wiring
- Refrigerant leaks
- Carbon monoxide exposure
- Mold growth
- Dryer vent fires
Faulty Electrical Wiring
Electrical hazards are among the most common HVAC-related fires, especially during the cooler seasons. Over time, your system’s electrical wiring loosens up, causing uneven power exertions from your heating system. When your furnace generates abnormally high power, it can burn your electrical wires and ignite a fire. Your HVAC tech will do a run-through of your system’s electrical components during their routine maintenance visit. In doing so, they will ensure your unit’s electrical backings are up to industry standards so you can have peace of mind about your home or business’s safety.
Chemical exposure is another common HVAC safety concern, one of the most common being refrigerant leaks. Refrigerant is used in your air conditioning system to extract heat from your home. When a malfunctioning or outdated AC unit experiences low refrigerant levels, this typically means there’s a leak somewhere in the system. A licensed HVAC professional should always handle refrigerant leaks. If you try to refill refrigerant on your own, you could accidentally spill it on your skin and experience painful frostbite.
Carbon Monoxide Exposure
Carbon monoxide is found within your furnace’s heat exchanger. This extremely deadly gas is not only toxic when inhaled but also highly flammable. That said, your heat exchanger should always be on your radar. Any crack or dent in your heat exchanger could put you at risk of carbon monoxide exposure.
In case of an emergency, make sure all of your Carbon Monoxide detectors are working correctly. You must also stay on top of your HVAC maintenance, as your technicians will give your heat exchanger the care it needs to keep your home or business safe.
Mold is a common culprit of respiratory-related HVAC concerns. Stemming from excess moisture, mold can take a toll on your indoor air quality and, consequently, your respiratory health and allergen resistance. Mold generally results from dirty air filters, a clogged condensate drain, leaking ductwork, or dirty evaporator coils. As a home or business owner, you can prevent potential mold risk by changing your air filter frequently and scheduling regular HVAC cleanings and maintenance.
Dryer Vent Fires
Another common culprit of HVAC-induced house fires is clogged dryer vents. When excess lint gets trapped in your dryer vent, it will back up your system’s exhaust gasses and increase temperatures. Given lint’s high flammability, this poses a serious concern.
At ACS, we cannot stress enough how important it is to have your dryer vents professionally cleaned. Not only will routine dryer vent cleaning save your home or business from a severe fire hazard, but it will also yield several other benefits, like lower energy bills and faster drying cycles.
HVAC Heating and Cooling with ACS
If you need professional HVAC repair, replacement, or maintenance, you can count on ACS to deliver nothing but the best! With decades of valuable industry experience, our certified HVAC technicians are the best in the game! Connect with our team today for top-quality HVAC maintenance, repair, or installation in Covington, Milledgeville, and surrounding areas.